Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Imago Dei


At Amid Night Suns my last two major posts, entitled Secrets of the Blind God and Kingdom Come, explored the nature of consciousness and divinity from two widely differing perspectives.  The former utilized a visionary Gnostic framework while the latter employed a more traditional religious filter.  My point in exploring both these sometimes polarized belief-systems on this blog is to draw parallels, to note differences and similarities.  Personally, my own basic filter with which I interpret experience is an artistic-psychological one.  Yes, I believe in the numinous and metaphysical, but only because I've often found these things to be both artistically and psychologically resonant.  In short, I find they contain great truths.  And what is truth but a certain purity of experience, perception and recognition?



In my experience as a writer, artist and human being I've found that life very rarely adheres to discreet boundaries, categories and rules.  Things blur and phase and intermingle; in our philosophies, arts and even our sciences.  I believe that it is through this intermingling, this interconnectivity, that consciousness makes itself known.  We all deserve powerful and profound stories concerning what it means to be conscious and self-aware.  Religion and Gnosticism and metaphysics can provide some of those stories, but I suspect that it is not until we attempt to make art holy again - until we honor the images born from our own souls - that we will truly recognize and understand our destines, both collectively and as individuals.  Until we truly grasp the alchemical nature of creativity and storytelling the fulfilment of our destinies will always seem tantalisingly out of reach.  But if we can come to understand our own stories, their intricate designs and implications, we can come to know ourselves on fundamental spiritual levels.  We can then enter the holy realm of Praesentiam; a place of powerful symbolisms, metaphors and literal magic.  And when that happens, as Initiates of the Imago Dei, we can finally take hold of our sigils.

3 comments:

  1. "Until we truly grasp the alchemical nature of creativity and storytelling the fulfillment of our destinies will always seem tantalizingly out of reach. But if we can come to understand our own stories, their intricate designs and implications, we can come to know ourselves on fundamental spiritual levels." My psyche bears the scars from coming to this knowledge the hard way...but better late than never. I hope all who have ears truly hear this message. I fear it may be like poverty. Possibly, one must experience it to truly understand it.

    I choose to comprehend. Let the spell commence. It's so beautiful now...just listen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sincerely for your kindness, insight and continual support, David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome thoughts, eloquently stated. the pithy brevity is something i relly admire, Raj. i tend to struggle in that department. i go on endlessly, traipse off after every flight of fancy, wind up lost and without moral or purpose. My internal editor needs an internal editor.but you inspire me to act brother, and you've got to like that in a man ;-)

    ReplyDelete