Sunday, 14 July 2013

Legion of Light


For me personally, creativity is not always about getting things perfect.  It's not always about guarding against mistakes.  For me, creativity is about a way of perceiving and behaving in the world that enlivens, quickens and empowers.  It's about creating something from nothing.  At Amid Night Suns I try very hard to live by this definition of creativity.  I started this blog with the intention of supporting Christopher Loring Knowles' exemplary work on his blog The Secret Sun - to my mind one of the best, if not the best blog on the internet. I hope I have managed to provide interesting corollaries to the mind-expanding posts offered on Chris' blog.


A THOUSAND WAYS TO RESIST

I have been making video content and writing posts on this blog for two years now, and I am proud of the work I've done at Amid Night Suns.  It might not be to everybody's tastes, but I see very few people making content with the tone and aesthetics found here.  That is part of the reason I'm still doing this.  Also, because I still believe in the work being done on The Secret Sun.  So, even though I've been making these videos for a while now I'm not yet ready to stop.  Far from it.  As long as there is injustice, lies and what I perceive to be a lack of insight with regards to the human spiritual condition, I'm going to keep doing what I do.  There are a thousand ways to make art, a thousand things to talk about, and a thousand ways to resist the mindless, gutless nonsense that the corporate elites keep shoving down our throats.  It just requires an open-mind, a readiness to work hard, and a little style.  There are many of us in the Reality-Based High Weirdness Community who are doing all we can to provide counterpoints and alternative interpretations to the detritus normally served to us in the name of culture.  My work on this blog will always have a touch of darkness about it -- because I never want to forget where I came from.  It keeps me honest and it keeps me seeking.  It reminds me just how precious insight, compassion and bravery really are.  Make no mistake, I'm always trying to bring Light into this place, but a truthful, honest and tempered Light.  I am trying to empower my allies and friends with my own kind of magick.  But not just empower them.  I am also trying earnestly to protect them.


WHERE SHADOW MEETS LIGHT

In my personal life I've often been told that I make certain people uncomfortable, for various reasons.  That's fine and as it should be.  But I never want my readers to misconstrue what I'm attempting to do on this blog. In essence I see Amid Night Suns as a cauldron or furnace, attempting to produce figurative diamonds from the endless detritus thrown at the human race; an alchemical space in which I can be more myself than I'm often allowed to be in the outside world.  I deal with shadows and darkness on this blog for one simple reason: in order to begin attempting to change the world we must first attempt to understand the world as it really, truly is.  And since the world is intimately and inextricably tied to our selves, this is tantamount to saying that in order to change the world we must first change ourselves.  If we wish to make the world better we must offer better; if we wish the world to be more honest and insightful we must offer honesty and insight.  For most of the readers of my blog and The Secret Sun, this is all obvious and nothing new.  But it bears repeating.  In order to shift boundaries and thresholds, we must understand our own.  We must understand our demons as well as the better angels of our nature.  In order to truly serve the Light, we must acknowledge and comprehend the Dark.


So, I intend to keep making these videos and writing these posts for as long as there are ways to resist what interested parties are attempting to do to our world and imagination.  I tread confidently in this realm, but also very carefully -- because I know how powerful and dangerous Art and Magick can be.  The reason the human race is in such a dark and compromised place right now is because we have acquiesced to the making of a magick that we chose to ignore or didn't understand.  We have allowed predators and tyrants to make magick on our behalf, without realizing just how incredibly dangerous that is.  But more and more researchers and artists in the High Weirdness community are beginning to ask the difficult questions; honing their sophistication with all these tropes.  They are taking the creation of magick back into their own hands; with all the strange questions, subtleties and nuances that come with such an undertaking. So despite humanity's current state of affairs there is still reason for me to hope.  The better angels of our nature are not all dead yet.  My name is Legion, for we are many.    

1 comment:

  1. You, Me and the other 9,998! Great stuff! Love the vid, it's already on my playlist! We're loving it in Ellensburg! Keep casting your spell my friend...it's powerful!

    ReplyDelete