Saturday 2 March 2019

A New Gnosis



Welcome back to Amid Night Suns, my friends.  It’s been quite a while.  Or has it?  I’ve recently been going through rough times in my life – going through a process of recalibration and reorientation – trying to gain as much experience and wisdom as possible from that process.  It’s a very difficult struggle for me.  Facing up to various realities is never an easy process.  But you can’t snuff out a smokeless and eternal flame, no matter how dimmed or tentative its fire becomes.  You can’t remove an Innermost Light.  All of us, at our essence, are this sentient spiritual fire.  You can call it consciousness, love, or God, but it's very real, and it animates all things.  It’s the reason there is something rather than nothing.  I for one am very beloved of this innermost.  It gives me direct signs of my own spiritual sovereignty when I’m willing to listen and see.  It gives me tender intimations of that same sovereignty even when I’ve lost my way, and the path seems darker than ever.
    It’s always trying to call and carry me home. 
    This innermost has seen me at my worst, at my most hopeless and desperate.  And it’s seen me also at my very best, when I’m loving and kind and creative.  Indeed, it’s the very thing that animates and inspires me to these better angels of my nature.  Even with all my flaws and failings I will never give up.  I’ll always love the ones that I love, regardless of circumstance.  I’ll always attempt to better myself and be there for them when they need me.  I’ll dust myself off, patch myself up and continue fighting the good fight.  Because it’s nothing less than a true friend deserves.  Anyone familiar with this blog won’t need me to tell them what the good fight is all about.  But for the uninitiated – it’s about kindness, compassion, strength, fearlessness and lucidity.  It’s about embodying the change you would like to see in the world around you. 
    It’s about being a voice for the voiceless, protecting the weak and wounded.  It’s about calling out corruption and imbalances in power wherever you find them. 
    Ultimately the good fight is about knowledge and truth, both physical and spiritual.  The Gnostics believed that true spiritual knowledge was power, and the nuanced and subtle application of such power was the beginning of true liberation and wisdom.  I believe the same the thing.  But we are not separate from knowledge, or its inherent power.  The universe is a vast web of intimately interrelated possibilities.  We live in a near-unfathomable work of art.  A divine realm of mysterious interconnection.  As we evolve and confront new challenges, so does our relationship with the spiritual knowledge and power we seek.  As we change so too does the world.  If I’ve learned anything in building this gate it’s that true power is not for ourselves.  It’s for the love and protection of our brothers and sisters.  The regent wields the sword only on behalf of the righteous.  Heart and service is the true language of heaven, in all tongues.  So, if I want to continue trying to change the world for the better, in tiny incremental ways, then I also have to change along with it.  If I want to fight the darkness of despair and hopelessness, then I have to become that innermost light with ever-increasing nuance and intensity. 
    I have to serve, and become that fire.  And I’m trying. 
   I may be struggling, as I always am in one way or another, but my commitment to human freedom remains steadfast and illuminating.  I am that fire.  You are too, dear reader.  It connects us in ways we can’t fully comprehend.  Much of my content at Amid Night Suns might seem heretical or disturbing at first glance, but that’s only because we've lived with such staggering corruption and abuse at the hands of the powerful for most of human history.  We’re not simply walking sacks of meat cursed with the illusion of cognition through some quirk of biochemistry.  Neither are we all sinful spirits deservedly beneath the heel of some monarchical, tyrannical and wrathful God.  Some vast and unknowable thing that pities and hates us.  No, we are something much, much greater than that.  Something eternally precious.  We are vessels and keepers of the true light, the real Creator – the innermost that quickens the spirit and empowers the heart.  In short, we are the beloved children of a just and gracious God who treasures us always.  More than anything in the world. 
    As any real Father would.
    So, know this, dear readers.  You have guides, helpers and friends still moving among you, many of them unseen.  The Ragged Magi walk beside you in the shadows, fighting battles on your behalf, questing diligently for your spiritual emancipation.  They keep the gate open for you.  They guide you towards home.  Child of His Grace, you are the knowledge you seek.  You are the power inherent within it.  Love.  Innermost flame of the heart.  Most High, forever.  God’s eternal majesty.  That’s why the predators, abusers and fallen ones fear you.  Because at our core, spiritual truth is what we all are.  We are, all of us, the fire.  Burn brightly.       


1 comment: